Kayak Roll Sessions in Willamette Valley updated November 2018*
Here’s a list of the Willamette Valley pools that are open for kayak roll practice. These are usually self-lead events where you bring your own gear. There are no formal lessons but other boaters are happy to give tips. It’s a great way to meet other boaters and plan trips. Rinse out your boat before putting in the pool and have fun!!
Call to confirm dates and times especially near holidays. Some pools require that you sign up ahead of time.
Albany Community Pool, kayak roll sessions 2nd & 4th Wednesdays 8-9:30pm. 2150 36th Ave SE, Albany, 541-967-4521
1. OSU Dixon Recreation Center Pool, kayak roll sessions Wednesdays 8:00-930 pm, 541-737-3748 https://events.oregonstate.edu/event/kayak_roll_sessions_5446
2. Osborn Aquatic Center kayak roll sessions, must sign up ahead of time, 2nd Monday from 8-10pm. $6. 1940 NW Highland Dr, Corvallis. 541-766-7946
Eugene Pools--Call before going, location changing in January, 2020
1. Eugene Echo Hollow Pool, CANCELED Pool will be closed one year for remodel starting January 2020. 1655 Echo Hollow Rd., Eugene, 541-682-5525.
2. Eugene Sheldon Pool, starting January 7, 2020 self guided drop-in kayak roll sessions will be held at the Sheldon Pool instead of the Echo Hollow pool. Tuesdays 8:30-10pm. 2443 Willakenzie Rd, Eugene. 541-682-5314. Instruction offered April 7, 14, 21. You'll need to sign up for these instruction classes with City Eugene Rec Guide class #7278. Pool will be closed for self guided practice on these dates if these classes go.
3. UO Student Rec Center pool, must sign up ahead of time for kayak pool sessions with the Outdoor Program 541-346-4365 or 541-346-4371, Wednesdays 8-9:30pm.
Portland Area Pools
1. Portland Columbia Indoor Pool is open Tuesday and Thursday 8:35-9:45pm for drop in kayak practice. 7701 N. Chautauqua Blvd, Portland. Call for details. 503-823-3669.
2. Vancouver Washington Marshall Pool is open on Saturdays 3-4:30pm for Kayak and paddle board practice. 1009 SE McLoughlin Blvd., Vancouver. Call for details. 360-487-7100.
3. Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center in Beaverton is open occasionally, contact them for details. 503-629-6310
4. Oregon Ocean Paddling Society rents a pool during the winter months. Contact them for details.
5. Alder Creek Kayak and Canoe gives lessons and has pool for rent, $10/hour. Contact them for details.
6. Clackamas Aquatic Center Wave Pool Schedule for winter 2019/2020, 7:30pm to 9pm, November 18, 25, December 2, 9, 16, January 6, 13, 22, 27, February 3, 10. Helmets required. Check with Oregon Kayak & Canoe Club for details.
Salem Kroc Aquatic Center pool kayak roll sessons Fridays 11-1pm & most Wednesdays starting at either 8:30 or 9pm. Better call to confirm times and dates.
The Salvation Army Ray & Joan KROC Corps Community Center
1865 Bill Frey Dr. NE, Salem. 503-566-5762
Willamalane has two nice big pools but neither are open on a regular basis for kayak roll practice.
* These are the published times as of the last edit. Please alert the website folks from the Contact Us page if you learn of any updates. And let us know if you'd like to volunteer to maintain this page -- we'd greatly appreciate your help!